On Thanksgiving night my spouse was incredibly diplomatic about my turkey fall short. And are unsuccessful I did – my term, not his – a rebuke of my maximum endeavours. I would brined the meat and seasoned it on major of that. I would tented the turkey in foil as I have for a long time, but this time I didn’t notice a hole in my joined edges, which allowed all the treasured basting steam to escape. By the time I checked on the fowl it was . . . completely cooked.
“The dim meat’s wonderful,” he cagily offered when I questioned about the breast (his favored part, the explanation for the season!). When I asked once more he available after a pause, in the kindest voice, “This is why gravy was invented.” Like I said, that was working day one.
20-four several hours later on he was cracking jokes about developing a monument to the leathery meat and the despair it represented. Then he provided the inspirational flash that saved that weekend’s leftovers. “Why you should not we toss it into a pot pie?” Staying an overachiever, I seen this turkey rescue mission as a opportunity to save experience. “How do you come to feel about a biscuit crust?
A good pot pie recipe can be the residence cook’s best friend in cases like this, and an clever salvation to dashed holiday ambitions. Greater however, making one particular can be as basic or as complex as the chef wishes it to be. Nevertheless right up until lately the pot pie obtained a terrible rap for currently being, horror of horrors, simple.
Due to the fact the mid-20th century and the rise of mass manufactured hassle-free food items, the pot pie has been synonymous with those people frozen solitary-serving pucks nestled in aluminum pans. Again in the working day they were created to be an uncomplicated meal option that sits somewhere in the center of the spectrum involving built-from-scratch and a frozen pizza, providing exhausted moms and dads a night off from cooking when meeting the requirements of a balanced food. Meat, greens and a starch coexisting in a single neat package that can be baked from its frigid state and also transpires to be a one-serving pie. What could be far better?
A home made pie, that is what. The draw back of these mass-created versions is that they weren’t notably pleasing to grownup palates. They also have a popularity for remaining packed with sodium and unwanted fat.
With any handmade dish the preparer can regulate degrees of unhealthiness and better nonetheless, how the pie tastes. That element relies upon on the cook’s whims, and there are numerous approaches and flavors to draw upon. This savory pastry has been enjoyed in cultures close to the earth and in different varieties given that historic moments, and it can be molded to suit royalty or ravenous workers collapsing at the conclude of a taxing working day.
Whether or not fancied up or totally utilitarian, designed with two crusts or 1, or developed with any wide range of components, a pot pie is a decadent, nourishing development. A veritable galaxy of recipes exist for people to pick from.
Looking at a few of them may direct a person to imagine that pulling one with each other from scratch or something near to it is a sophisticated endeavor. Yet again: only if you want it to be.
Get this version as an instance. For the filling I labored off of a recipe from a 2007 problem of Day-to-day Food stuff meant as a lighter version of the classic pot pie recipe. It works by using low-extra fat milk and flavors the sauce in section with lemon juice, two components utilized as meat tenderizers – far better dry turkey rescue brokers than gravy.
The publication’s unique recipe takes advantage of six sheets of phyllo dough for the prime crust, stacked two at a time and brushed or sprayed with olive oil in between layers, decreasing the calorie count and eradicating any prep time that could usually be devoted to earning a pie crust.
Like the phyllo dough, you can quickly obtain pie crusts from the retail store. Equally if you want to make the biscuit major with out the work, use a box of Bisquick or just one of people cannister tubes of completely ready-bake biscuit dough.
Any of those choices can yield a mainly home made pot pie in beneath 40 minutes or considerably less if, like me, you have some leftover meat to repurpose. That would make a single-crust do-it-yourself pot pie a doable weeknight supper alternative, especially if you have second-day rotisserie hen to enjoy with.
Those people keen to devote a minimal a lot more time to building the biscuit dough from scratch and who treatment a lot less about the bigger calorie count – it is really 2020, stay a small! – will be rewarded by a fluffy, decadent accompaniment to the meat, carrots, sweet peas and sauce sheltered beneath.
Use any biscuit recipe you like. Salon lately posted an superb a person by Kelly Fields. Drop biscuit recipes are even simpler in that you can just pour the batter on top rated of the filling before baking. My go-to recipe is Edna Lewis’ Sunday Revival Dinner variation, taken from her classic cookbook “The Taste of Country Cooking.” Just what is essential to change a turkey day tragedy into a leftover triumph.
Biscuit-Topped Turkey (or Rooster!) Pot Pie
For the filling:
- Leftover turkey breast meat (or meat of your decision), all over 12 to 14 ounces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup all-reason flour
- 2 1/2 cups lower-excess fat (1%) milk
- 1 deal (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons refreshing lemon juice
(Reporter’s notice: If you like much more lemon feel cost-free to include much more, but be watchful not to overdose on it or you may well split the sauce’s creaminess. If you want a thicker sauce use whole milk or toss in pats of butter, a bit at a time, to thicken.)
For the biscuits (as Edna Lewis directs):
- 3 cups sifted all-goal flour
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons Royal Baking Powder
- ⅔ cup lard (Reporter’s notice: If you might be squeamish about employing lard, Crisco or space-temperature butter perform good for this condition.)
- 1 cup furthermore 2 tablespoons buttermilk (If sweet milk is currently being utilised, omit the baking soda and the 2 tablespoons of milk sweet milk is more liquid than bitter and as a result these are not wanted.)
Process – filling
- Preheat oven to 425 levels.
- Get your (more than)cooked turkey or hen and possibly cut it into cubes with a knife or shred it with your arms. Set aside.
- Warmth 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan about medium. Increase carrots, onion, and thyme year with salt and pepper, and cook right until carrots are crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Insert flour, and cook, stirring, 1 moment. Slowly insert milk, stirring right up until easy. Prepare dinner, stirring once in a while, until combination comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Get rid of from heat, then stir in peas, lemon juice, and hen, and season with salt and pepper.
System – biscuits and pot pie
- Consider a significant bowl, sift into it the calculated flour, salt, soda and baking powder. Incorporate the lard, and blend with each other with a pastry blender or your fingertips until the mixture has the texture of cornmeal.
- Include the milk all at after by scattering it in excess of the dough. Stir vigorously with a stout wood spoon. The dough will be really tender in the beginning but will stiffen in 2 or 3 minutes. Continue on to stir a couple of minutes longer.
- Right after the dough has stiffened, scrape from sides of bowl into a ball, and spoon on to a evenly floured surface for rolling. Dust above lightly with about a tablespoon of flour as the dough will be a little bit sticky. Flatten the dough out carefully with your hands into a thick, spherical cake, and knead for a moment by folding the outer edge of the dough into the middle of the circle, offering a light knead as you fold the sides in overlapping each and every other.
- Switch the folded side confront down and dust flippantly if required, becoming thorough not to use way too much flour and trigger the dough to develop into far too stiff. Dust the rolling pin and the rolling area perfectly. Roll the dough out evenly to a little bit much less than 1/2-inch in thickness.
- Dust your biscuit cutter in flour to start with to protect against the dough sticking to the cutter. Then, push the cutter into the dough and carry up with a sharp quickness with no a wiggle.
- To make the crust rest the biscuit rounds closely with each other on leading of the filling, functioning from the outdoors of your casserole dish inward and placing the biscuit rounds on the outer rim as close to the dish as possible.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, starting off at 15 to make confident you don’t put the biscuits in for way too very long. After the filling begins effervescent and the biscuits have risen and are on the lighter aspect of golden, your pot pie is carried out. Enable it awesome for 10-15 minutes in advance of serving.